Monday, October 16, 2006

More posts!!

I know I've said this in the past, but I'm going to start posting more. I've been turned on recently to the power of blogs through several school projects, and I want to continue being a part of it. So all of you loyal readers, get on my ass if I don't live up to that promise.

-Here are the people I go to school with.

-Things I've been listening to recently:
The Thermals - The Body The Blood The Machine - This is a brilliant punk record, embodying everything that I love about punk and almost none of what I hate about punk. It's raw, real, and best listened to very loud. It's also incredibly literate, asking questions about faith, death, and America that are mind-blowing in their simplicity. Ultimately the album is about God and the relationships that people have with It. So it goes well with my own current fascination with all things religious.
Best track: Returning to the Fold
M.I.A. & Diplo - Piracy Funds Terrorism, Vol. 1 - My running album of choice. M.I.A. is making the most exciting hip-hop around nowadays. The only exciting hip-hop in my opinion.
Best track: Galangatron
Rogue Wave - Descended Like Vultures - Great melodic pop songs, much in the vein of Nada Surf. Good fall music.
Best track: Publish My Love
M. Ward - Post-War - An ambitious assessment of our cultural mentality as only M. Ward could do it. He's got such an engaging voice and songwriting style that you can really get lost in his albums. And if you get the chance to see him live, do it. You won't be disappointed.
Best track: Chinese Translation
Lucero - Rebels, Rogues & Sworn Brothers - Great rock band from Memphis. They have really expanded their sound on this one, and while it lacks the immediacy and sheer passion of Tennessee, it's a good direction for them to go.
Best track: I Don't Wanna Be The One
Joanna Newsom - Ys - BEWARE: Ms. Newsom's music is an acquired taste. You will not like it at first. It does not reward you if you put it in the background. It does not reward you if you have set ideas of vocal beauty. But it is beautiful, profound stuff that makes you feel wonderful about being human.
Best track: Sawdust & Diamonds
Jason Collett - Idols of Exile - A sometime member of Broken Social Scene and one hell of a writer of sunny melodies, Collett is the real deal. I saw him open up for Rogue Wave last month, and he absolutely stole the show. If you like what's coming out of Canada these days, get this album.
Best track: Fire
The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America - A lot of people get compared to Bruce Springsteen. Few deserve it. The Hold Steady is one of the few that does. They pick up right where Born to Run left off, telling tales of kids, drugs, and sex. Not as dynamic as Springsteen, but then who is?
Best track: First Night
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife - Wow. Definitely a giant leap forward. Kudos to them for having the balls to throw prog in the mix. More kudos for making it work as well as it does. They've never sounded tighter or more focused, and it makes for a cinematic and engaging album.
Best track: Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)


-Ted gave me some great pictures from Labor Day weekend. Here's a few to round off the post:




4 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Whoa. I know that you don't wield that Springsteen comparison lightly, but I'm a little surprised that you brought The Hold Steady into that club, but not Lucero? Working man's band, raspy lead vocalist, guitars, lyrics about Americana...I think the connection can be made.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Yeah, I can see that as well, but something about the Hold Steady just makes me think of the boss. The keyboards I think.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cliff can teach you how to peddle your wares for extra cash, mr. anonymous. listen to him. he is wise.

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are we ever going to 'do' lunch? LOL

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home