Saturday, July 29, 2006

NYC

Hey again everyone. So I think nearly everyone who reads this knows that I am up in New York for a few days, so I will give the highlights thus far:

-Wednesday night met up with Teddy, Kyle, Ian, Danny, Stefan, and Erin for dinner and late night shenanigans. Actually, let's start earlier. Miri picked me up at the airport and dropped me off near where her class was, and I took the subway down to Ted's new place on Clinton Street. I forgot how much this place is home to me, and I started remembering again on the subway down. It's the most amazing thing; you can be gone forever and pick it back up like it was yesterday.

-Thursday I went running on the Williamsburg Bridge, which is literally right outside Teddy's door. The car exhaust is a little much, but it is inspiring to run across the river into another Borough on your morning run. I kinda wish it was the Manhattan Bridge, which has walkways on the outside of the bridge away from the car exhaust, but we don't choose these things, they choose us. And the Brooklyn Bridge is way too far down and just too much stupid personal history to fuck with right now.

-Later on Thursday I met up with Miri in midtown for lunch and then went up to the Bronx to the New York Botanical Gardens, where Chihuly has a bunch of installations. They were absolutely incredible, and I blew through three rolls of film shooting them. As soon as I get them developed I will utilize my parents' scanner that they don't know how to use to put some of them on here.

-Last night I had a very long dinner with my great friend Tara, followed by several drinks at a bar until 1:30 when we realized how late it was and decided to call it a night. We talked about everything under the sun, as we always do, and I came out of it feeling a lot better about life in general. Tara does that to you.

-Today I allowed myself to sleep a little bit late and then went and sampled the best bagels in the world at David's Bagels. I used to live around the corner from this place, and it is hands down the best place to get bagels in New York City. Which is saying something. I then wandered around to some old haunts of mind in the East Village and took the subway up to midtown and spent a few hours in the Museum of Modern Art. They had a Dada exhibit going on, which I have to say was a bit underwhelming. Dada was a wonderful philosophy but a lousy aesthetic construct. Any movement that has Max Ernst as a main contributor is in deep trouble. He is a fucking poseur. But the rest of the museum was fascinating. And Patty Griffin is a great companion for an art museum, for future reference. I am undergoing a renaissance of her music (mainly due to Rebecca) that is treating me very well so far.

-Then tonight I went to dinner at the always wonderful Max, my favorite Italian joint, with Kyle and Teddy and then met up with Erin and hopped bars for the rest of the night. I have to say that coming back to New York is like coming home. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I got back up here. And now that I remember all that this place is and how much my friends up here mean to me, I have a reason to slave away in grad school in Richmond for another year. And once May rolls around I will be (hopefully) up here once again. (But in the meantime I will most definitely be your drinking buddy Aimee, I swear!!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I linked over from Kyle's blog and since your Bonnaroo post is in the works, I have to tell you, that there is video of the Nickel Creek set that was so effing fantastic at http://blueroom.att.com/mainstage/index.php -- "Fox" is the 10 minute montage that included the cover of "The Weight" and the clogging! It's AWESOME and if you look really hard you might see yourself at the back of the tent! Can't wait to catch up and compare Ryan Adams show highlights.

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stupid shit requires windows media player. boo.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home