Sunday, August 26, 2007

An open letter to Josh Rouse

Hi Josh,

I don't like to beat around the bush with things like this, so I'll get right to the point: I'm worried about you. I've listened to Country Mouse, City House multiple times now, and it still sucks just as bad as it did the first time I listened to it. It's even worse than Subtitulo, and I didn't think that was possible. It's just boring, meandering music.

Is this really the best you can do now? There was a time when you were better than just about anybody else out there. 1972 is still one of the best albums start to finish in my record collection. Under Cold Blue Stars blew my socks off when I first heard it. It was dark, true, beautiful music. I can't even believe that was the same guy who is now writing stuff like "Sweetie" and "Domesticated Lovers."

I'm really happy that you've found someone you love and moved to Spain. That's awesome. But where is the fire now? Where is the guy who wrote "Miracle," "My Love Has Gone," and "Sparrows Over Birmingham?" Where is the storytelling of "James," of "Christmas with Jesus?" You used to tell great stories with your songs. Now they seem like random snapshots from a settled and, if you'll forgive me for saying so, rather boring life. They don't get outside yourself the way your previous stuff did.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I've got mad respect for anyone who follows his heart. But the things that you are writing now are not worth putting out on records. Please get your head on straight before making another one.

Still love ya, man!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Hear, hear. I miss the old Josh. In an act of desperation after he put out that crap Subtitulo, I even bought the EP he made with his soul-sucking Spanish lady friend. More crap. I should have known better - it was under the artist name She's Spanish, I'm American. Really, is that the BEST band name he could come up with? Gah. Lame.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Bradley Herring said...

Dude. Jonah Matranga. Album "And". Hook it up.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home