Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Scrubs Season 1

For all of you who know what good TV really is, the first season of Scrubs is out now on DVD. It has been monopolizing much of my time. It should monopolize much of your time as well.
So wow, May 25. And there are still no ridiculously affordable apartments to be had in Richmond. Lots of affordable, but no ridiculously affordable. I'm gonna hold out a bit longer, considering how much I paid for my last apartment (it wasn't pretty).
VCU's graduation was this weekend, so there were lots of festivities going on. I was privy to two such celebrations, one for my God-sister and one for Cyn's brother Shaun. Both of them were fun, but by the end of the day I was pooped and rather loaded. And then I woke up at 2 in the morning with the most absurd hunger I have ever felt and made a tempeh sandwich.
Why tempeh, you ask? Well, for those of you who don't know what tempeh is, it is a chunky meat substitute, kind of like a mix between tofu and pork chops (are you running out to the store to buy some yet?). It takes on the flavor of anything you cook it with, like tofu. So Friday night I cooked Cynthia dinner for our monthly date; we were also supposed to watch West Side Story for my initiation into the movie musical, but no video store in town had it. So we watched 24, our latest Netflix obsession, one and a half seasons down and still riveted! Getting back to the tempeh, I baked it in soy sauce and maple syrup for an hour and then breaded it with a mix of cornmeal, thyme, red pepper flakes, oregano and cumin and fried it. It was quite good but incredibly rich, almost too rich to eat by itself. It does, however, as I discovered on my late night hunger quest, make a terrific sandwich.
So I'm still working on that whole music blog thing, but in the meantime, here are some albums to which everyone should be listening: Back to You by Kathleen Edwards (esp. Tara), Solace by Xavier Rudd, The Forgotten Arm by Aimiee Mann, Chrome by Catherine Wheel, Baja Sessions by Chris Isaak, Blood and Chocolate by Elvis Costello, Utopia Parkway by Fountains of Wayne (wonderful summer album, if only summer would ever get here), Nashville by Josh Rouse (ditto), Be by Common, Transistor Radio by M. Ward (esp. Teddy), Trouble by Ray LaMontagne, Magic Time by Van Morrison, Ghetto Bells by Vic Chesnutt, and anything by Nina Simone, my current obsession. Oh, and Since We Last Spoke by RJD2. That's my two cents, I'm out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I, too, have been loving Blood and Chocolate.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since we seem to enjoy commenting on each other's blogs as the only standing form of communication...here goes:
tempeh is gross. i was a veggie for 7 years and am therefore allowed to say so. go for tofu instead, it's slightly less gross.
go mr. adams! i always admired your dad...very successful and driven dude...maybe one day one of his kids will turn out the same ;)
I was listening to my morning wake-up call by lite 106.7 the other day and they were reporting the traffic on the inbound gowanus...i always knew it had to be some sort of obscure reference no one would understand. oh, and one last thing...you can't find an apartment in RICHMOND you can afford?!?!? please, my brother pays $25 more than me for a 2-bedroom house with a YARD. and i have a sad little studio on the 4th floor of a walk-up. You can afford Richmond. But I still think you are kind of a puss for bailing on New York. Only the Strong Survive.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Bradley Herring said...

"Scrubs" sucks. Sorry, champ. ALL sitcoms not on Comedy Central suck.

However, "Blood and Chocolate" is amazing. Congrats on your magically delicious tastes.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrringggggg. Time to update, Marjorie. You are the most negligent blogger EVER. Web-reality is passing you by.... :)

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home