Monday, February 18, 2008

Happy Oscar Week

This year I've been really bad about keeping up with the Oscar contenders. I'm going to try to make up for it this week by seeing as many of the nominees as I can. I began this afternoon with No Country for Old Men, and I hope at the very least to see a few more of the best picture nominees before the week is out. No Country for Old Men is the frontrunner thus far in the Best Picture race, and with good reason. It really is a masterpiece for the Coens, who have long been ignored by the Academy. Coming up strong behind is Juno, the sole feel-good movie in the category. I get the feeling that Juno is going to annoy me, but I don't want to pass judgment before I see it. There Will Be Blood has also been getting a lot of attention lately, but seeing as Daniel Day-Lewis seems to be the surest bet of the night, I don't think Best Picture is in the cards. Plus, I'm sure that Paul Anderson will have many more shots at the big one.
My personal favorites of the acting nominees are Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promises (for the sheer balls it took to play do that shower scene, har har), Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose (an amazing transformation), and Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men (literally gave me chills). I haven't seen any of the Supporting Actress nominees yet, but I have Gone Baby Gone at home right now from Netflix.
Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

1 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I hope Viggo wins, too, if only for that naked, bloody shower scene, which was awesome. "Balls" - har har is right. Nerd.

Juno isn't annoying, in my opinion. I really liked it. I don't think she'll win in the actress category, but it might win in the writing slot - the dialogue is pretty clever.

Gone Baby Gone = meh. Amy Ryan is excellent, though.

I'm going to try to see There Will Be Blood, this week. I can't imagine, however, that it will be as good or better than No Country for Old Men, which I loved. I can't even bring myself to care about Atonement, though. I read and disliked that book, so I just don't have any interest in the movie. Maybe I'll Netflix it when it comes out, but for now I'm rooting against that one.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home