Sunday, February 17, 2008

All Hail The Whigs!

It's rare to find a band with a rhythm section like The Whigs any more. It's not that nobody pays attention any more, or that there's a lack of talent out there. It's that it takes a subtle interplay of instruments to create a great rhythm section. Bands that have done it amazingly (Nirvana, The Who and, much as I hate to admit it, Dave Matthews Band) involve the entire band in crafting propulsive, innovative rhythms. The Whigs are one such band.
I hadn't heard them before Mission Control came out, and from what I've heard of their debut, Give 'Em All A Big Fat Lip, I didn't miss much. There are some cool songs, but the Whigs' sound is not well presented in such a lo-fi way. They craft a solid wave of rock goodness that's meant to surround you. Rob Schnapf gives them a lot of room to breathe on Mission Control, and it's only on Mission Control that the true power of Julian Dorio, their amazing drummer, comes across. I can't wait to see these guys live, because I bet this guy is an absolute monster to watch. And the songs are incredibly catchy as well. Among the standouts are "Like a Vibration," the monster opener, "Sleep Sunshine," a lilting lullaby of a tune, and "Right Hand on my Heart," my candidate for Song of the Year so far. Check out the video, it's pretty infectious:



So check the album out. It's on EMusic, iTunes, Amazon, or whatever you're into. You won't be sorry you did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home